The Dept of Anaesthesia & Intensive Care, CUHK
Table 1. Assessment of the resonant frequency and damping coefficient of arterial pressure monitoring systems.
- Start paper trace to make a paper record of the output of the transducer.
- Snap or flick the valve of the continuous flush system or flick the tubing connecting the cannula to the transducer. This will produce an "interference" square-wave on the output trace.
- Repeat the process at least twice.
- Resonant frequency is the paper speed in mm/sec divided by the distance between successive peaks.
- Damping is satisfactory if each snap test has at least 2 oscillation waves and if the ratio of successive amplitudes is 3 or greater.
April, 2014 unless
otherwise stated. The author, editor and The Chinese University of Hong Kong
take no responsibility for any adverse event resulting from the use of this